Gastric sleeve surgery (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) removes about 80% of the stomach. As a result, patients:
• Feel less hungry
• Feel full sooner after eating
• Lose up to 3/4 of their excess weight
• Improve or cure their obesity-related health problems
Weight Loss: Half to Most of Your Excess Weight
Weight loss happens fast after gastric sleeve surgery:
• Month 3: About 1/3 of excess weight is gone
• Month 6: About half of excess weight is gone
• Month 12: Up to 70% of excess weight is gone
Most patients reach a plateau around the one to two year mark. Patients who eat and exercise right are usually able to keep the weight off or lose even more.
But many patients let their dedication slip and regain some weight. This is due to the stomach stretching over time, which is usually caused by overeating.
By 5 years after surgery, the average patient has kept off over half of their excess weight. Successful patients avoid weight regain by: