Here are my tips for the Soft food diet after bariatric surgery
- Keep the texture of the soft food mashed and soft.
- Use food you can eat with just a fork or spoon.
- Lumps are now allowed!
- It is important you chew all food well and take your time. Chew repeatedly and take breaks between mouthfuls.
- Reduce the frequency of meals to 3-5/ day (or 3 plus 2 snacks) and avoid eating in between meals
- Try to establish a routine for having three meals a day, even if you are not hungry initially at these times. This will help you to lose weight in the long term.
- Continue to separate drinks from meals. Drinking at the same time as food can fill the pouch and cause pain. it may also wash food down and make space for more food defeating the purpose of a pouch.
- Cook soft meals such as such as scrambled eggs, baked beans, minced meat, cottage pie, shepherds pie, bolognese sauce, fish in sauce/fish pie or Soft ready meals.
- Good snack ideas include Low fat/ diet yoghurts, fromage frais, stewed or soft tinned fruit, cottage cheese, sugar-free mousse/ custard, low fat rice pudding.
- If you are unable to tolerate a food and are sick, take a day off and go back to puree to give your stomach a chance to recover.
I hope these tips are useful. Good look with the soft food diet stage.